Monday, August 31, 2020

Jan. 26 - 28, 1916

 Wed. Jan. 26, 1916

Fullerton's first railroad station, pictured here in late 1888 or early 1889, was ready when the first train arrived in August of 1888. By 1894, the Fullerton Tribune said the community was the largest shipping point south of Los Angeles. It retained the title annually right into the next century.
Fullerton train station

Sunny and fine till noon. Rain in eve.

Clint up for breakfast and then we all drove to his ranch and looked around, then around town, and then we took him to Fullerton to catch a train into L.A. at 10:30. I did not have to work today as they didn't pick yesterday.

Pa and I worked around cleaning up etc and in afternoon we two took drive down and got some chicken feed, groceries, etc. Pa drove down and back, but not in the busy part of town - is pretty good driver now. In the eve I read in my books and went to bed early.

Thurs. Jan. 27, 1916

the streets of Anaheim in 1917

Rained steady all last nite and today till 4 P.M.

Up at 5:45 and walked to the packing house to work. I did not know that it had rained so hard so I had to wade up to my shoe tops down by the Southern Pacific tracks and I was wet from the knee down from the rain. At noon Pa came after me with the auto and I changed my shoes, sox, and pants.

The river is flooding all over again just like it did a few days ago, and a little worse I guess. Pa came after me in the eve also - got thru about 5 P.M. In the eve I read a little and played H.L.J. &Q and Ma beat twice. To bed early.

Fri. Jan. 28, 1916

Fine and sunny

Could not pick any oranges yesterday so I don't have to work today. Orchard all full of water but it is going down now. We worked around and then drove over to the packing house to see if Pa could get a little work and they wanted me to work, but had no job for him now so I worked 2 1/2 hrs. today. Rode my bike to and from this afternoon. Worked around here some more this afternoon with Pa. In the eve I read and went to the library.


No comments:

Post a Comment