Tuesday, December 15, 2020

April 7 - 9, 1916

 Fri. April 7, 1916

The American Magazine issues from 1916

Fine - Santa Ana wind and hot.

I helped Mother with washing all A.M. Pa working at Fay's. He and I worked at Packing House all aft (1-6). I read American Magazine at the Library in eve. 8 eggs

Sat. April 8, 1916

Fine and hot

Pa and I worked from 7 - 12. He finished up with Fay's in aft and I monkeyed around. Pa gave me a good hair-cut. Mother not very well this aft so went to bed and pa got sup. I rode down and got groceries. Took a ride down in eve. Read. 9 eggs

Sun. April 9, 1916

Bob Burman was a record holding race car driver. The blown out tire caused his car to roll.

Fine and warm

I rode down in A.M. and got paper. Root's heard that Al had a store in L.A. on Moneta Ave, but we haven't heard anymore about it yet. Read all day - Mother in bed with the piles. She slept in my bed last night and Pa and I together and Pa had to be up with her quite a little. I wrote a line to Ethel in the evening telling her the news.


There was a big 300 mile race at Corona yesterday and Bob Burman, his mechanic, and a special policeman were killed when a tire blew out - 5 spectators were injured. It was so hot that no records were made - 85 miles per hour.

I in my own bed tonight. 10 eggs

Author note: According to wiki "Bob Burman's death caused his friends Barney Oldfield and Harry Arminius Miller to join forces to build a race car that incorporated a roll cage inside a streamlined driver's compartment that completely enclosed the driver. It was called the Golden Submarine."

No comments:

Post a Comment