Tuesday, November 24, 2020

March 29 - 31, 1916

 Wed. March 29, 1916

Possible Grandfather in talking about Charles Chapman, in this entry, who was a well respected orange grower, first Mayor of Fullerton, and the person Chapman University is named for.

Dull A.M. Fine Aft.

Worked on my fiddle top. Painted my chair a 2nd coat. We all and Mrs. Harner drove down to Water Co to see about pipe line. Then drove out to Anaheim Fruit Growers Assn for Pa to try to get a job. Then took a ride thru Chapman's place. The Pa, Grand , and I dug up some pipe in orchard. In eve I drove them and Mrs. Hong down to meeting and was going to get them, but curfew did not ring and I was late - They called Harner's and I hurried down and brought them home. 9 eggs

The Chapman ranch property, consisting of nearly 500 acres in its prime, contained both walnut groves and America’s oldest Valencia orange trees. Mr. Chapman developed new techniques for grading and marketing this particular variety of orange, and by the 1920s Charles Chapman was widely known as “the father of the Valencia orange industry.”


Thurs. March 30, 1916 

Dusty, but sunny

Worked on my fiddle top. Pa working for Bayliss spraying today. In Aft Grandpa and I pulled about 9 lengths of pipe out of the orchard - hard work. I drove Mrs. Harner down to a church and got some 10 pound chicken fees and some meat. Aunt May came late this afternoon and is here for supper. Visited in eve and about 8 P.M. we drove over to Root's and he and I beat Pa and Grand 2 games of whist. Left May home and then I went back there and slept there all night. 9 eggs

Fri. March 31, 1916

Fine and fairly hot

Worked at packing house all day and also from 7-9 in eve. Graded sweets, few navels , and valencias. Pa done working for Bayliss - got $5 for 2 days. I read a W.H.S paper from Stew today. 10 eggs


No comments:

Post a Comment