Friday, September 25, 2020

Feb. 19 - 21, 1916

 Sat. Feb. 19, 1916

 Anaheim in 1914: Los Angeles Street
(now Anaheim Blvd.), looking north from Center Street (now Lincoln Ave.)


Fine and not so hot

Worked around a little. Rode down and got a sewing machine crate, brought it up, put machine in, and shipped it. They [May and cousins] up for lunch and Ma and I took them down to the train and they left to The Springs. In afternoon I bought some copper tubing and put a gas saver on the auto - not quite finished yet. I rode down in the eve and got groceries and meat. 

9 eggs today. We now have 17 hens. We planted a little patch of potatoes today also. Eggs are worth about 20 cents now and were 40 cents a week or two ago.

Sun. Feb. 20, 1916

LA Times from Feb. 20, 1916


Dull and cool

Finished my gas saver which is a copper tube from the carburetor around the exhaust pipe 3 times and then up by the steering column. Don't know how much gas it will save yet - I don't think the pipe is quite large enough to do much good. They are putting sewer in the street and we can't get out with the auto so only Pa went to church as mother did not have any good walking shoes. I rode down and bought a paper and we read all day. In afternoon I went down to the library for an hour or so and read papers. I slept with Grandpa last night. 10 eggs.

Mon. Feb. 21, 1916

Rain last night. Sunny and fairly cool today

Dug potatoes off and on all day. Pa and Grand walked down and bought some paint for the walls (like Kalsomine - Bradley's Wall Finish). They painted part of the front bedroom. Pa and I filled the sewer ditch and I drove down about 5:30 and got groceries and meat. We plowed ground where potatoes were this eve and we are going to put some more in. Read etc in eve. 10 eggs

No comments:

Post a Comment