Wednesday, May 20, 2020

April 22 -23, 1915


 -
Here is the news article on what was going on in The Legislature. I thought maybe they were fighting
over Daylight savings from what my grandfather wrote. 
Thurs. April 22, 1915

Fine and warm - very warm in latter part of the day. Dull and soggy in A.M.and rain at 10:30 -11P.M. Practiced till 5:30. Home and forgot I had an invite to Walt's for Sup. and eve. He called me up at 6:45 after I had eaten my supper, but I went right up and ate another big fine one. Cliff, Walt, Stew, Fred, Fisher, Mrs. Fifield and myself were there. We had a big roast turkey, dressing, potates, canned corn, salted peanuts, whip cream salad, cream pie, candy, rolls, "etc." Then we listened to the phonograph and then we played a fine game called Bankers Market, till 11 P.X. Home and to bed.

The State Legislature closed last night the Senate set the clocks back 1 hour and 20 minutes. The House acted like a bunch of hoodlums, throwing paper and books around, and crowding around speakers desk "etc" so that no business could be done so it closed at 12P.X. It was the first non-partisan Legis. in the country. I think the house did not pass as many bills as former Legis, but it cut approximately $2,000,000. The Senate lived. The Senate lived up to former records in bills passed.

Movie poster - The Exploits of Elaine - The Devil Worshippers (1914).jpg
The Exploits of Elaine was a serial that was at The Lyric Theatre the night grandpa went.

Fri. April 23, 1915

Fine and hot. Put on my armless and 3/4 leg Summer underwear.

Practiced all afternoon and Home. Worked around a little fixing my bike. (putting mud guard on) In the eve we all went to The Lyric Mpls Wkg Boys Band of 75 pieces and saw pictures. The band was good. Home and good sleep.

Author note: Here is a piece of a chapter from THE EXPLOITS OF ELAINE. I wasn't able to find one from The Devil Worshippers.





2 comments:

  1. I notice he always refers to evening hours as P.X. I wonder why? When did it change to P.M.?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. He uses them interchangeably.

    ReplyDelete