Sunday, April 5, 2020

Jan. 25 -27, 1915

-

Jan. 25, 1915

Started new term in school. Short periods. Am taking Civics, Solid Geometry and US history. I was going to take architectural drawing, but there is no class so I can't. As it is I have the 5th, 6th, and 7th period vacant as well as the 3rd.

Came home - went downtown and got my eye examined. He said that I was far-sighted and thus my vision for distant was excellent, but close work would bother me. He said that an Occulist could probably fix them all-right with treatments. I do not know what to do at present.

Jan. 26, 1915

Pretty cold. I think I will take shorthand for a 4th subject.

Went skating and played hockey. Came home and went to Sunday school meeting at Mr. Wiley's with Cliff. Had good eats and we discussed things with the new pastor (Mr. Blair)

Jan. 27, 1915

Very cold. Was 20 below at noon. Went skating, but did not do much of it - too cold.

Stew and I scrapped all the way how- good naturedly. Read paper "etc"

Yesterday President Wilson talked by direct wire with some official of the Exposition of San Francisco. Regular service will begin soon between New York and San Francisco and also between here and S.F. Cost = $20 for 3 min. and $6.75 for each additional minute.


Author Note: The first transcontinental phone call took place January 25, 1915 I think that is what my grandfather is talking about in this last entry."Four different individuals participated in this historic event: Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone (in New York, NY), Thomas Watson, Bell’s former assistant (in San Francisco, CA), Theodore Vail, president of AT&T; (from Jekyll Island, GA), and President Woodrow Wilson (from Washington, DC). 
Bell was asked to repeat the first words ever spoken on a telephone. On the first phone call he said to his assistant, “Mr. Watson, come here, I want you.” This time Watson, now in San Francisco, responded, “It would take me a week now!” Also the $20 from 1915 would be about $500 today. Link to more info



No comments:

Post a Comment