Thursday, April 2, 2020

Jan. 18, 1915

Jan. 18, 1915

152.204 - Isch Ga-Bibble (I Should Worry). | Levy Music Collection
This was a popular fake Yiddish vaudville song and what I think grandpa means when he write Is Ka Bibble (AKA I Should Worry).

Quite cold. In fact very snappy, but clear.

Late for school so I did not go to my first per. (A room) went to mch. room instead and worked on my hammer. Katherine said she was mad because I didn't go home with her Friday "etc" "Is Ka Bibble."

I went downtown and got my grad pictures they are good ( 2 doz). Bought some tape and this ink. Home and Stew and I walked across the lake in the snow and went skating. I let him take my old hockey stick. He let another kid take it and he broke it. Mine was also broke to pieces in a mix - it was no good and I am going to try another for it.

Stew and I walked home by the 43rd path and sang all the way. Pa and I each beat 2 games of "High low" am going to take a bawth now and then I will retiah (he spelled both bath and retire like this. It must be his little joke)

Author note: Isch Ga-bibble has a long story the name was adapted by a comedian in the 30s who sang the song in his act and he may be the inspiration for Mad Magazine's Alfred E. Neuman "What, Me Worry."
The expression “ische ga bibble” is not Yiddish and contains no Yiddish words at all. However, there is a Yiddish expression, “nisht gefidlt,” meaning “it doesn’t matter to me,” from which the term “ish kabibble” may derive.
Hear the song here!

No comments:

Post a Comment